In England, traditional brides opt for a sweet confection on their wedding day - fruitcake! So I thought it would be fun to share a 'royal' recipe that you can try at home courtesy of Disney Family
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 3 eggs
- Marzipan, store-bought
- White fondant, store-bought (we used Wilton brand)
- Food coloring -- red, yellow, blue
- White whipped frosting, store bought
- 2.5" round cookie cutter
- Fondant cutters
- Rolling pin
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, and prepare a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Combine dried cherries, warm water, and almond extract in a glass liquid measuring cup. Let the cherries soak in the warm water and almond extract for 30 minutes.
- Place yellow cake mix, eggs, and plain yogurt in the bowl of an electric mixture. Note: The yogurt substitutes for the oil in the boxed mix recipe. This is a low-fat substitution.
- When finished soaking, remove the cherries from the water and set aside. Pour the almond-infused water into the mixer with the cake mix, eggs, and yogurt.
- Place the cherries in the bowl of the food processor and chop for 10 - 15 seconds.
- Add chopped cherries to the bowl of the electric mixer.
- Blend all ingredients on low for 30 seconds, or until moistened. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake tins and bake for 23 - 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Divide marzipan into 3 pieces. Put each piece of marzipan into a separate bowl and add a few drops of food coloring to each. Knead the food coloring into the marzipan to disperse the color evenly.
- Place colored marzipan and white fondant on waxed paper and roll into 1/8" thick rounds.
- Use the round cookie cutter to cut circles from white fondant and colored marzipan. You will need one circle for each cupcake.
- Cut British-inspired designs from the remaining marzipan and fondant using small cookie cutters, and a knife. Hearts, small crowns and Union Jacks make a festive display.
- Use a dollop of whipped frosting to "glue" the decorations onto the fondant and marzipan circles.
- When cupcakes have cooled, frost tops with a bit of the whipped frosting and then press on the fondant circles.