Since tomorrow is Thanksgiving, I thought it would be fun to shake up Wedding Cake Wednesday by sharing a recipe for the next best thing- pie! Like many, pumpkin pie
is a staple at our holiday table. It's safe to say I've tried my hand at quite a few recipes
, so today I'm sharing one of my family's favorites.
- 2 cups pumpkin or winter squash puree, (1 15 ounce can)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 extra large eggs,, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Roll out crust and ease into 9-inch pie plate without stretching. Trim edges to 1/2 an inch over the edge and fold under. Crimp as desired. Cut any scraps into decorative shapes for embellishment later. Chill pie in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- While crust is chilling, make filling. Whisk together puree and sugars until smooth. Add cream, half and half and eggs and mix thoroughly. Whisk in pumpkin pie spice.
- Remove crust from fridge and pour pumpkin mixture carefully into crust. Place in the middle rack of the oven and bake for 8 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees and bake for 45-50 minutes more, or until the center is soft-set. It should still jiggle some and will continue to set as it cools. A knife inserted one inch from the crust should come out clean.
May your holiday be yummy!